Prior to commencing this work with students, whānau, and community members could be invited to view the video clips from the resource and discuss ways they could support this study. Ideas for discussion could include:
- war heroes from their area
- local tribes beliefs about atua/tīpuna/kaitiaki (gods/ancestors/guardians)
- the sharing of beliefs to enhance understanding of things Māori
- other waiata/haka performed by or written for soldiers
- local composers in the war era
- present day composers
- key people and places within the local community that are relevant to the topic.
The Ministry of Education’s publication Te Mana Kōrero provides useful information on engaging whānau.